Sunday, August 30, 2009

Into South Dakota

20090828 – Into South Dakota

I found a small area of the grasslands I had been seeking just a few feet away from my campsite this morning. This was associated with a bluebird trail just above the campground. Many of the plants here were familiar from childhood, as were the sounds of crickets and other insects as I began the walk. I don't have deep enough knowledge of the plants to describe them, however many of them were flowering at his season. One area of the walk had some small woodlots included and at the border of these there were a large number of Monarch butterflies sheltering from a rather stiff breeze, sallying out when I disturbed them as I passed and then returning to perch on a type of shrub/tree that I have not yet identified. There were also frogs on the trail and in the grass that I disturbed. They were like those from home at Rice, and averaged to the larger end of these, with bodies maybe two inches long. I recalled that I had also seen these frogs over the last few days at Carlos.

Leaving there, I picked up US12 in Ortonville and crossed to Big Stone City (it is not a big city), SD and then shortly to Milbank. After ~20 miles there was a large grain shipping terminal, with elevators, storage, its own railroad spur, two Burlington Northern engines, and a mile (at least) of train cars. I continued West on US12 for another ~30 miles, then turned North to visit Waubay NWR. Just a couple of miles off the highway there was a pasture with 200-300 buffalo next to the road, with most of the buffalo near the fence, just 30 yards away. I approached them slowly and got some pictures, although they were a little concerned with my presence and slowly moved away. At the refuge I picked up a map and the literature, then hiked for an hour. It was not very productive birding although I may have picked up one or two trip birds there.

I returned to US12 for a few more miles, but the trucks and traffic seemed to keep pushing me along faster than I wanted. The highway is 4 lanes, excellent, new concrete, but the shoulder is narrow and difficult to access due to a 3-4 inch drop most everywhere. So I decided to parallel US12 to the North, aiming for SD10, heading North on SD25 at Webster. Along the way I came across a large rookery of Double Crested Cormorants (estimate 250-300)with many still on nests. Then later a large flock of American White Pelicans and more Cormorants crowded on the bank of a pothole—a great view in stark black and white.

Terrain along the road here is flattening out with a large number of potholes. Crops between are soybeans, corn, wheat (being harvested now) and hay without irrigation. The farms are somewhat larger than yesterday, with fewer treed areas.

About 5:00 I pulled into Fort Sisseton State Park for supper and overnight. No cell coverage here.

No comments:

Post a Comment