Saturday, June 27, 2009

Driving the Minnesota North Country

20090624 – Driving the Minnesota North Country
My trip South was slowed by many smaller points of interest along the way. From Bemidji I went to Lake Winnibigosh at several points, then Grand Rapids, Atkin, and, finally, Garrison for the night at an unremarkable RV site, on the Western shore of Mille Lacs Lake. I was generally following US2 to the East , then US169 to the South, although I left these many times. The smaller points of interest were mostly partial memories I have of traveling with Dad on his business trips to this area. Nothing specific was familiar, yet everything seemed to spark some ghosts of memories and I indulged the whims I had about following roads off the main highways. Mille Lacs Lake holds many of these ghost memories for me. I stopped to take a few landscape photos to remind me of the day. It was not a birding day, although I did see a few on drivebys. I only mention one below, because I think it may be a new one for the trip.

Birds: Wood Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment