Monday, September 7, 2009

Choteau

20090907 – Choteau

I spent most of the day driving US87 from Lewiston through Great Falls, then US89 past Fairfield and Freezout Lake to Choteau where I took a campsite at the city park. It was a day of beautiful scenery: larger fields, mostly wheat, now golden after the harvest and littered with straw bales. The land was rolling and open and there were always mountains on the horizon. These were the Snowy Mtns at first, then later the Little Belts, and now, this evening I am almost at the foothills of the Rockys. This was all punctuated by sunbreaks and showers and ever changing cloud patterns.

I plan to spend another day or two in this area before heading a little North to enter Glacier National Park. Part of my attraction to this area resulted from the Wings Over Big Sky birding festival during which Patt and I took a field trip here. That day was cold and blowing snow with very limited visibility. But there was enough to show that this area is quite undeveloped, and has great potential for viewing wildlife, and fab scenery. So – here I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment