Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Glacier's Front Door

20090909—Glacier's Front Door

The campground was really cold this morning, it had no additional campers, and the few birds I saw last evening either had left or were staying snug abed awaiting the sun that would clear the east ridge in about 2 hours. I left. The Teton Canon Road out (to the East) was paved and faster than the Bellville Road I took West yesterday. I was back to Choteau by 11:00.

There were some peaches for sale at an organic food store. With them in the bag I headed North on US89 to Browning, then to St. Mary. The park entrance is a few blocks from the commercial RV site I took for the evening. I felt that I needed a shower.

St. Mary has no cell coverage for me. The RV campground promises Internet, and I will try that later.

The drive today was another one through spectacular country. Rolling hills to the West, with few trees (only in the stream beds), great lenticular cloud formations, long stretches without power or phone poles, and the Rockies rising in the background. There was a little wheat land, although most was open range for grazing cattle. Much of this was badly overgrazed. Near the end, approaching St. Mary I entered the foothills themselves. There were great swatches with standing skeletons of the firs and pines that burned back in 2002 or 2003.

Tomorrow I'll enter Glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment