Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

20090901 and 02 -- Theodore Roosevelt National Park

I've spent the last two days in the park. I spent several hours driving slowly past bison (who were unconcerned by a car, even an RV, just a few feet from them. Think driving through a herd of cattle on the road), wild horses (just a few) and prairie dogs. I hiked in the cooler part or the day today, seeing a few towhees, goldfinches, sparrows, and a Turkey Vulture and watched two Golden Eagles bathe in a stream and groom afterwards. Not a very busy birding place this season. I enjoyed a thunderstorm, took pics of a sunset and sat a lot at the campground where human sounds were virtually drowned out by the insects.

Despite the short post, this is one of my favorite places. I love the quiet ambiance. Pleasant valley is the name of one of the attractions here. The whole place is quietly pleasant, a great place to forget the cares of day to day life. I'm carefree just now, but thoroughly enjoying it anyhow.


Check out the attached link to get the details on this wonderful place:
http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment