Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Beyond the "check engine"

Bretz RV did not have the equipment to plug in to the Rialta . They recommended calling Mountain Imports. Mountain Imports said they are fully scheduled till June 4. They said "unless the light is flashing it is OK to drive--just get it checked out when you can--like when you get to the VW dealer in Billings. Often the issue is minor, like the gas cap is not on correctly--check that." I asked about the VW Dealer here in Missoula, and they thought that this one does not have a hoist to work under the rig. I called them anyhow and got an appointment for 2:00.

Bob left a voice mail, also saying that the issue may be minor. He recounted how they had a 'check engine' one time which coded to that a spark plug had misfired. I realize now that this blog has the potential to create sort of a support community for me. Thanks Bob.

Driving and walking around Missoula, I reflected on how these sights might have been very familiar if Edna and I had made different choices some 35 years ago. We took a train ride here then to check out the city and see if we wanted to move here. I'm not sure now what we were looking for then. Certainly some opportunities to use our degrees plus some alternative lifestyle. But what specifically I wanted, how we chose this place to check out, or why we did not select this after visiting is not clear to me now. I think I did not actually know what I wanted, and Edna may not have either, or perhaps she was just caught up in my confusion for a while. Soon after this we moved to San Antonio.

I wrote the above at the VW dealership while waiting for results. They are that a valve had been stuck on a preheater for the gasses arriving at the catalytic converter. Ordinarily this has to operate for only a short while upon starting the engine. This coded as an intermittent problem, and they could not get it to repeat while I was there. If it happens again, it would suggest that the part should be replaced. But even this would not have to be done immediately and I could drive all the way to Minnesota without harming anything. Anyhow, they do not have the part here. So, I'm going to wait till later. I have the part numbers to order, just in case.

With a little time left in the day, I stopped at another place for advice on the refrigerator which sometimes turns itself off while operating on gas. They looked at it and think the issue is with the thermocouple interrupter. Not available here. I'm going to call ahead to Great Falls, to ask them to order it and schedule an installation, probably on June 8. Or even May 29 if they have the part in stock.

So, it appears I will not be stuck in Missoula after all. Hopefully Jim and Mary's RV has seen the last of me. Tomorrow I plan on looking at the National Bison Preserve, ~35 miles North of here. Then head toward Great Falls, perhaps stopping overnight near the Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

Birds: Western Meadowlark, Common Raven. In town today: House Sparrow, Northern Flicker, Common Raven, Rock Dove, Starling.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about some of the wildlife refuges you mentioned, including National Bison. Photos would be even better! Doug

    ReplyDelete