Monday, May 18, 2009

The Spit

20090517

Left Sequim Bay Campground to bird the Dungenes Spit early this AM. Parked at a picnic area to take the Bluff Trail. Bluffs are ~100-200 feet above the Strait. Very soon I saw RVs and tents showing thru the trees inland. Clallam County Campground was open per some folks I met. I decided to move there for the day—an easy task since upon my return from the hike, I just had to drive another ¼ mile. It is a beautiful campground that Patt & I had resolved to return to sometime in the future. This place is definitely one to return to again. Reservations needed in the summer.

Continuing with the hike, there were a pair of Bald Eagles showing off over the water. I saw a feather come off one, I thought due to the windshear from the wild acrobatics they were doing, but then the eagle dove and snatched the feather from the air. I think this was a display of prowess to impress his mate. A short time later, I saw the pair perched on the sand, a yard from the water (which was very calm) staring out.

A lot of other birds, listed below. I hiked ~4 hours around the park and refuge, total for the day.

Also went into Sequim to test the Magnum WiFi booster I had purchased for the roadtrip. At one point I saw 6 networks, 3 with 3 bars of signal with the Magnum, 4 networks, only one with 3 bars without the Magnum. I conclude that it works. Updated the blog from a coffee shop (I thought--it did not post. I had saved the draft in the wrong format)

Rialta works fine, I have a short list of minor additions to the setup for the roadtrip. I'm glad I did the shakedown—I can go with more confidence, having found no major issues (so far :-)).

Birds: Oregon Junco, Am Crow, Spotted Towhee, Rock Dove, Bald Eagle, Pigeon Guillemot, Cedar Waxwing, Townsend's Warbler, Black Headed Grosbeak, American Goldfinch, H-Winter Wren, Northern Harrier, Wilson's Warbler, Killdeer, Red Winged Blackbird, Tri-Colored Blackbird, Mallard, Brown Headed Cowbird, Mourning Dove.

TODO: Check out Salt Creek Campground per suggestion from a DSNWR volunteer.

20090518

Returned home after a morning walk in the Clallam County Campground and the Dungeness Spit. No issues with the Rialta. At home I learned that the air conditioner part has arrived and I am scheduled for installation tomorrow at 8:00

Birds: Am. Crow, Robin, Chestnut Sided Chickadee, H-Winter Wren, H-Mourning Dove, Bald Eagle,, Pigeon Guillimot, Northern Harrier, Starling, Forster's Tern, Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment